Thursday 28 October 2021

Bartimaeus

 As I read the Gospel for the 30th Sunday of Ordinary Time about the blind beggar Bartimaeus my mind instantly thought of Zacchaeus and how I had the pleasure of reading the story of Zacchaeus by the tree that he climbed to see Jesus in what is now known as the Holy Land. Not just did I read the story that day but I was asked to share my thoughts on it. I simply thought of this on Sunday as I started reading the Gospel because of the big name. Zacchaeus climbed a tree in order to try to get closer to Jesus. How often in life do we who believe in God try to get away from God? Personally, I must admit that I have often forgotten about God or I have thought of God and in my struggle said 'no'. For me that is why prayer time is so important to me, by regularly spending time in prayer I hope that it helps me to think of God in my everyday life more  and that I will be more inclined to turn to God in times of struggle. People say that things happen for a reason. Sometimes I have to sit and ask God why and what His plan is because I just don't understand the reason a particular thing is happening. I do not usually get an instant answer but I find it easier to accept and go with it. 

At Mass on Sunday Fr Tom asked us what we want from God. But a question that I feel is also important is, 'What does God want from us?' Are we living the lives that God truly wants us to live? At times I am not sure that I am and at times I do not actually care but then someone often steps in and snaps me out of that and I spend time with God and ask him if what i am doing truly is what he wants from me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gospel Reflection Lk 22: 24-30

On Saturday I was struck by the Gospel for the second day in a row. Odd, I don't know if it was because of the place I was in or mearly ...