Monday 2 August 2021

Mental Health

 Last week at the Olympics an American athlete pulled out of some of her events after a poor performed performance. I know nothing about gymnastics so I do not actually know how badly performed. The athlete said that she was putting her mental health first. I did not follow this story, I just thought to myself, 'fair play to her'. However, an article late last week did catch my eye. This article criticised the athlete for not pushing on and competing. The article suggested that she was using her mental health as an excuse. Maybe she was, maybe she wasn't, we cannot make that judgment call. The woman had her reasons and people should respect that.

I don't know the athlete concerned but I was so happy to see that she was putting her mental health before competing in the Olympics. She identified a problem and took the steps that she needed to help her to manage it. Nothing is more important in this world than our mental health. In society today there is great emphasis on reaching the highest standards, whether it is winning that race, that game, earning loads of money or getting employee of the month! What do people sacrifice by setting these high standards for themselves? How is it impacting on there mental health, relationships? If we do not prioritise our own mental health we will be no good to anybody, we will struggle to achieve things in our daily lives.

My advice is to take some time for yourself. If you are feeling overwhelmed in life it is okay to say no to friends and family who are asking you to do something for them. When you know that there is an event coming up that you have committed to try to ensure in the days leading up that you are making that space for yourself and your self-care. And if you really have to pull out that is okay too. Nobody or nothing is more important in this world than you. Let me repeat that:

NOBODY OR NOTHING IS MORE IMPORTANT IN THIS WORLD THAN YOU!


So do not be ashamed or embarrassed to put yourself first, to ask for help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gospel Reflection Lk 22: 24-30

On Saturday I was struck by the Gospel for the second day in a row. Odd, I don't know if it was because of the place I was in or mearly ...