Sunday 22 January 2017

Going to Uganda

Just before Christmas 2016 I spoke with Joanne in VMM international. I had originally made contact with VMM International in September but I got busy and did not get a chance to fill in the application form. I made time to fill it in in December. From there I spoke with Joanne about the volunteer projects that VMM run. Joanne provided me with 3 options for summer 2017, Malawi, Uganda and the third one I cannot remember. She told me a bit about the work in Malawi and Uganda as they were the ones of interest to me. After hearing about both projects Uganda appealed to me most. The Uganda project is working in two schools as a teaching assistant. It is interested in providing the children with a bit of extra support and sporting activities. I enjoy working with young people so this is why I picked the Uganda project. I would spend 4 weeks in Uganda. I went off to think about it and after Christmas I signed up to go.

In order to go to Uganda I have to raise 1700 Euro which is specifically for the project. This money will provide accommodation with VMM International in Uganda and food while there. My flights and vaccines are not included in the 17000 euro. This figure seemed daunting at first. It still kind of does. Over the next few months I am hoping to run a few fundraising events in order to raise this money. Physically I do not know at this stage what I will be able to do due to a rib injury but I am hoping to get into a position that I will be able to climb a mountain to raise money. If anyone is interested in joining me ye are most welcome. Another big fundraising idea I have is to get my head shaved. I need to see my hairdresser to access if this is possible. Watch this space. Some people have said that they will sponsor me regardless of if I do anything but I want to do something to earn the money people give. So hopefully the rib settles and I can go climb a mountain (I bought shoes during the week) and maybe the head shave. Although the more I think about that I donno...... It will take a while for my hair to grow back. I will also run smaller events such as coffee mornings. Also, I have spoken to a school about running a free dress day for me and am in conversation with a college Student Union about how they can help me raise the funds. So, hopefully with all this I will reach my target of 1700 Euro.

I set up a donations page last week at idonate.ie/melissauganda. To date that page has raised 100 euro, a nice start. If you would like to support me log on to idonate.ie/melissauganda. You can also support me in person, I will be keeping a sponsorship card in the car. If you have any ideas of how I could raise funds or would like to run an event to support my fundraising efforts please let me know.

Keep up to date on my progress by logging on to my blog melissavwallace.blogspot.com or the Facebook page I have set up  'my journey to Uganda' I will post all updates and keep everyone informed of what is happening.

Thank you in advance for the support.
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gospel Reflection Lk 22: 24-30

On Saturday I was struck by the Gospel for the second day in a row. Odd, I don't know if it was because of the place I was in or mearly ...